Tuesday, July 10, 2012

DIY Dog (or Cat) Collar and Bow-tie

DIY Bowtie Dog Collar 

Hello everyone!  I'm so excited because this is my very first post on the new blog. I found it only appropriate that I make something intended for Hudson, so I'm going to teach y'all how to make your own dog collar and bow-tie! This is a relatively easy project that pretty much anyone who can sew a semi-straight line can do!  Once you get the hang of it, the whole process from start to finish should only take you about 30 minutes. Your precious pet is worth that short amount of time, aren't they??

I figured out how to make my dog a collar by the tutorials here and here. I took a little from each tutorial and made my own for my cute puppy!  My good friend, RaChelle made my nephew's bow-tie for my wedding this passed November and it turned out to be ADORABLE.  So she gave me some really great bow-tie tips, too! She is a sewing genius and you can take a look at her swoon worthy children's line of clothing here! 
I told you, ADORABLE!


Are you ready to make your furry friend look even more adorable than they already do?! Okay, here we go!


Step 1: Gather your supplies. You can find most of your supplies at your local craft store or even Walmart. (One tip I have is to buy cheap dog collars from the dollar store and just use the hardware because buying all the supplies can get pricier than you think!)






Supplies needed:
*Large Sweet Tea from McDonald's (optional)
*Nylon webbing (no bigger than 1 inch unless you're making a bow-tie for a horse! ha!)
* 1/2 yard of cute fabric
*Plastic clip (size depends on whatever you choose for your nylon webbing)
*Plastic Slider
*D-ring
*Sewing Machine & Thread
*A clothes iron

The length of the nylon webbing will depend on your pet. Measure their neck and then add six inches to get the correct amount of webbing you will need.

Step 2: Sew fabric onto nylon


The tutorials I came across all used ribbon for this step (which would have been WAY easier) but I wanted to do the matching bow-tie too, so I used fabric. Don't worry, it's not that bad, it just takes a little extra time. All I did was fold over and iron the edges to make them nice and straight for when I sewed them onto the nylon. Then just sew your way down! Most people would probably use pins, but I'm not a patient person, so I just held onto the fabric while I sewed and hoped for the best! ;)

Step 3: Sew clip onto one end


Unclip the buckle and slip one end of the nylon through it. It's important that you use the right side of the buckle or the whole collar will be messed up. See photo above for help. I'm talking from experience here! ha ha All you're going to do is sew the clip in place. (Make sure you leave a little 2 inch tail at the end though, because you will need it to sew the D-ring in place.) Sew back and forth several times to secure the clip.

Step 4: Sew in D-ring


Slide the D-ring through the nylon so that it is right next to the clip. Sew back and forth a few times to secure it in place. (Remember, you need to sew more than one time here because you don't want your pet breaking free from the collar and having a tragic accident just because of a simple sewing 'shortcut' during this step. Sew sew SEW that d-ring in place! :)


How cute is my smiley little helper?!


Step 5: Add slider and clip


This part is a little tricky, but it doesn't have to be! I didn't get a very good photo of me actually completing this step, so I'm going to do my very best to explain it. Put the slider all the way through. (over and under the middle crossbar. Then bring it all the way through the other side of the clip. Then bring it back to the slider and put it back through underneath. (under the first loop) You can DO THIS! See the photo below for a little more help or just look at an old collar you may have.




Step 6: Sew slider into place


This step can also be a little tricky, so pay attention! :) You need to pinch the leftover tail and the material right above the tail. NOT all three sections of the material or your collar will not be adjustable. So follow the photo above and sew the two pieces together.


OKAY! Part one, completed. You have officially made your own pet collar! Admire it! Let your furry friend admire it! You should be proud. :)



Back to business! Are you ready for part 2? Making the adorable bow-tie is actually the easy part. Promise! :)


Step 1: Get materials cut and ready


*Matching or same fabric used for collar
*Lightweight interfacing (I used felt)








For each bow-tie you need to cut two rectangles of fabric. For the collars I cut mine to be 4.50'' x 3.50''. You also need a piece of fabric for the center of the bow-tie. I cut mine to be 3'' wide x 4'' long. Cut one piece of interfacing a little smaller than the size of your rectangles.  


Step 2: Sew interfacing to rectangle pieces of fabric


Place both sides of fabric together right side to right, then place interfacing on top. (See photo)




Sew around the edges, leaving a hole in the center of one of the long sides for turning inside out.

 Then turn it right side out and push the corners all the way out. (I ironed the open side underneath and sewed it down so that it wouldn't be open. You don't have to do this if you used double sided sticky interfacing)


Step 3: Sew middle of bow-tie

Take the small piece of fabric and fold it inside out the long way and sew it into a tube.


Now turn it right side out and iron it flat with the seam in the middle.





 Now fold in half, right sides together and sew together along the short side. Iron the seam flat and then turn it right side out. 



Step 4: Put bow-tie together

Take bow and fold it in an accordion style. Slip your tube over it and arrange it how you want it. 

Sorry for the stinky photo quality. This is a fuzzy cell phone picture. :(


And viola! The finished product!







Look at YOU! You made a collar and a cute bow-tie! Just take your bow-tie, slide it over your collar and center it. Now call your furry friend over to you and present them with their new adorable accessory. Hudson LOVES his new bow-tie collars. I think I'll go make four more! (Or maybe not) ha! 

These collars are lizard chasing approved. ;)
So, there you have it! Good luck with your future bow-tie making projects! Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions and let me know if you found this tutorial to be helpful!Or if you just feel like you don't have the time or motivation to make one on your own, I'd be happy to make one for you! You can order your own bow-tie collar here! 




XO


















Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. That is very cute! I want one! By the way, my dog looks exactly like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I want to see!!! If you get a chance, send me a picture @ BrittaneyAllen@hotmail.com :)

      Delete
  2. This is so cool! I think, old cloth is very useful too in making a collar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your first needed items! Sounds like how I start a project. SWEET TEA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!!! Story of my life! How about yours? :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the great tutorial! I will definitely try this our for an upcoming wedding :)

    Laura
    PS - I can't believe how much spam you get in you comments section :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Laura! I hope it turns out great for you!

      I KNOW. I hate all the spam that I get. I'm so frustrated by it. It takes so long to delete everything, too. I don't know what else to do. :/

      Delete
  5. Love this! The blue material is almost as cute as Hudson! Aw! Love this tutorial, im going to try and make this bowtie for my doggie for Christmas time! Im only 13 and learning but i love my pooch and im very creative! Thank you so so much! I hope i cant make this!! Its adorable, your blog page is cool, thanks! xox I will let you know how i get on!xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your site is very informative and your articles are wonderful. shell hawkins

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable. We have a huge black lab named Hudson. But boxers are my first love. He will definitely have bow ties for the various holidays!! Absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this tutorial! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This info is worth everyone's attention. Where can I
    find out more?

    My homepage: pinch collar

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good info, thank you towards the writer. It's incomprehensive in my experience right now, however in common, the actual effectiveness as well as importance is actually mind-boggling. Many thanks once again as well as best of luck!

    halsband met naam

    ReplyDelete
  11. weldable webbing is a sought-after product today. So check out all those odd lots today! http://rosemonttextiles.com/weldable-webbing

    ReplyDelete

Post Comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...